Our home, The Lyttons, was built c.1520-1550, when the Bishop of Winchester was the Lord of the Manor of Seale. (A 'manor' was the local administrative base of the feudal system that was instituted after the Norman invasion.) At that time, the Bishop's tenant farmers lived in the house. The Lyttons is an example of a sixteenth-century timber framed house with an open hall, a fire in the middle of the hall and louvres in the roof to allow the smoke to escape. On one side of the hall were the service quarters--the larder and the still room. On the other side was the parlour, the farmer's room. Life in this original house was very primitive. Everyone ate and slept together in the central hall, except for the farmer, who probably slept in the parlour, which was also the farm office.
The first changes appeared in the seventeenth century. A second floor and staircase were added and a chimney was built over the central hearth. The extensions were made of bricks, which were introduced to south-east England by Flemish immigrants. Over the fireplace in the master bedroom there is an inscription on the plaster that is dated 1663. There were a few other alterations made and a cellar was added in the late eighteenth century. Today the house is surrounded by lovely English gardens and a large vegetable patch is located outside the kitchen door.
|Front view of The Lyttons||View from the driveway|
|A country kitchen||No country kitchen is complete without an Aga stove!|
|The inglenook fireplace in the living room||View of the church and house from the pasture|
|View of church from our driveway||Looking at the house and church from the north|
Back to Home Page